Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ron vs. Nob Hill. The Hill 1, Ron 0


630 AM local time. Had I been back home I’d have already traveled over 100km using two modes of transportation to arrive at the office.  This balmy morning I’m standing atop Nob Hill, across from the historic Fairmont hotel, staring down a daunting task.  In every direction the steepest grades I’ve ever seen (in a city).  Having logged my last runs in South Beach over 3 months ago there’s no question my legs and lungs aren’t ready for downhill/uphill battle.  We all know going down is worse than up.  Downhill your legs and quads buckle, muscular defeat.  Uphill your lungs quit.  It’s an easier decision to stop when you can’t breathe than when you’re legs are simply shaking.

Off I go, heading towards what appears to be the Golden Gate bridge.  I’m going down, seriously downhill, 457m over the first 1000m (thank you sketchy Garmin Forerunner), I  continue along California St. until I reach the bay and the Embarcadero.  Running through markets being setup and what appears to be endless Yoga-persons I glance over to see what appears to be the Golden Gate standing majestically in front of the raising sun and some low lying fog.  The sleepy city from where I begun atop Nob Hill is now bustling with the runners, café goers and hundreds of street vendors setting up.  As I near the most picturesque bridge I’ve ever seen backed by the perfect setting I realize… this bridge isn’t red.  It’s certainly a suspension bridge and I would greatly wake up to this sight any day – but it’s the Oakland Bay Bridge. Ah well.  It’s been 15 mins and my heart is already regretting following me on this trek. As I work my way back towards the daunting California St. hill I run through some markets looking for some food.  Who am I kidding, I’m already dizzying so I exit stage left and proceed to the ascent of death.  I know I can’t run the entire hill but I’m willing to give a slow and steady attempt.  The first section is bearable, but the section kills me.  I’m running stairs, my knees are in my chest, I cross to the third and my BPM is flirting with 190.  Better judgement kicks-in and I hit the brakes.  The walk isn’t much better but as I reach the hotel my vision seems to be leveling.

I enter the room to now realize my foolishness.  With some daylight the Golden Gate bridge is in clear sight and clearly in the opposite direction I headed.  Lesson learned – don’t stay atop a hill if you’re interested in running.
Golden Gate Bridge from  hotel room (at 300mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment